What All New Officials Need to Know
Welcome to Hockey Manitoba’s Officiating Program. As a new official here are a few key things that you will need to know:
- In order to officiate you must be 13 years of age by December 31, 2015.
- Officials MUST CERTIFY EVERY YEAR!
- Online registration is required to attend an officiating clinic. Please refer to our Clinics page for further instructions.
What do I need to get started?
Hockey Manitoba Crest*
Hockey Canada Crest*
Hockey Canada Rule book*
(*Available with online registration)
Black Ref Pants or Wind pants**
Helmet with Half Visor**2
Hockey Winnipeg Referee number**4
- Hockey Canada does not permit its officials to wear the NHL-style jerseys, with black mesh under the armpits.
- Your helmet should be black, and you do need a half-visor. It is difficult to blow a whistle when you wear a full cage!
- The whistle must have a finger grip and should have a small pea inside.
- Please call Hockey Winnipeg at 784-5454 to obtain a number.
Where Do I Place My Crests?
Hockey Manitoba Crest – Left Breast
Hockey Canada Crest – Upper Left Sleeve
100 Year Anniversary – Upper Right Sleeve